Blackjack is a widely known and played card game around the world. It is often referred to as the card game for beginners. This is because, even though it might be a little tricky to learn with so many variants and betting options, learning it can be easier to pick up if you start well.
If you’re new to online blackjack or need a refresher on the rules and strategies, this article will teach you everything you need to know about this addicting game with high stakes. Keep reading to discover everything from how to choose which cards to keep while playing blackjack as well as the rules and know how to win better in a game.
Blackjack Rules You Need To Know
First, let’s review the rules. A standard blackjack game is played with six standard 52 card decks by one or more players against the dealer. Players can bet up to a maximum of SGD100 per hand but must stay above the minimum bet of SGD1 (differs according to online casinos).
The dealer’s goal is to get a total of either 21 or as close as possible to 21 without going over. If a player’s total is higher than the dealer’s, the player wins even money for their bet. If the dealer’s hand is higher than a player’s total, the dealer wins.
There is an additional rule for splitting pairs. If you have two of the same card, you can split the pair. This means that you play both sets with two hands. Aces can only be split once. Hands can be re-split as many times as you like as long as they remain the same type of split i.e. a pair.
Blackjack Card Hands To Learn
- The only thing you need to know is that the dealer always wins if the two cards add up to 21 or more. If your cards add up to more than 21, you’ve busted and lost the hand.
- The amount you bet determines the amount you win when the dealer busts, but not the amount you lose if the two cards add up to more than 21.
- The only time you should bust is when you have a total of 21 with an ace and 10-valued cards.
- The cards are ranked from lowest to highest as follows: 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-Jack-Queen-King-Ace. You can see this by looking at the back of the cards.
- An ace can rank as either a low or high card.
- Some casinos will also allow you to split aces. This means that you play both as a pair.
The Different Blackjack Variations
Similar to all other online casino games, blackjack has multiple variations that players can try out. Many of these variations are also created to cater to each country, but here’s a few variations that are popular among players around the world.
1. Classic Blackjack
The classic blackjack is one of the most played games among all the blackjack variations. This is also a player’s favourite in landed casinos. In general, blackjack is a game with a low house edge, but this variation has the lowest house edge among all other variations.
In classic blackjack, players will go against the dealer in an attempt to reach “21”, or the number closest to “21”. The important thing to remember is that your total should not exceed “21”. Each will be dealt with 2 cards and you will decide if you want to “hit” (add another card) or “keep” (just keep your current card) to get the total closest to “21”.
2. European Blackjack
The main difference between this variation and the standard blackjack rules is the dealer must hit until they reach 16. If the dealer ever hits 17, the hand ends, and the dealer loses regardless of whether the player has a hand or not.
The most common blackjack rule that’s actually broken is the dealer must hit on 16. The vast majority of blackjack tables around the world do not enforce this rule. In fact, many blackjack dealers don’t even know this rule exists.
3. Blackjack Switch
The blackjack switch is the one rarest variation of blackjack you’ll come across. This version of blackjack used to only be available in land-based casinos but it has been adopted to virtual casinos these days.
To play blackjack switch, each player is dealt two hands: one from their original cards and one from a new set of cards. The goal is to achieve the best from both hands. Although blackjack switch rules may vary from casino to casino. Many players in Singapore have been asking for online casinos to offer this blackjack variation for them to play.
How To Win In A Game Of Blackjack
Blackjack is a game of strategy and luck, but you can make it much easier for yourself by following a few simple strategies.
- Know your basic strategy for when you should hit, stand, or split. This will help you not only get the best outcome for your cards but help you keep from busting since the dealer’s cards are always visible.
- Remember that the dealer will bust with two cards adding up to more than 17. This means that you can bet more when dealing with a soft 17.
- Try to stay away from the end of the table where the dealer has everything in view as well as any rules that can help the dealer win.
- Avoid playing in a crowded casino as well as when you’re really tired. When you’re tired, you’re more likely to make mistakes that can cost you.
- Avoid playing with people who are playing at a much slower pace than the rest of the table. These are likely counting cards.
To some, blackjack can be a very challenging game that requires players to think quickly and make strategic decisions. You will not win at blackjack every time you play, but with practice and knowledge about the game, you can increase your chances of coming out on top.
Make sure to learn everything about bonuses and how you can use them to hone your skills. Sometimes practice is better than a real game, so make sure to use all the demos and bonuses offered to hone you blackjack skills.